Walks from The Forge
Slindon is a great place for walkers (with or without dogs) and in association with the National Trust and with a grant from the South Downs National Park Authority we commissioned iFoot path to create 4 walks of different lengths and types for you to enjoy. Two start and end at The Forge and two more have the Forge as a mid-walk stop off (but you can easily start from here and just folllow the map).
All of the walks include lots of information as well as clear directions and a map, and are available in 3 ways
- You can download them onto a smart phone - using the iFootpath app (iOS or Android) in which case you get all the directions and information in the palm of your hand as you walk. It costs £1.49 and gives you acess to many hundreds of walks across the country, including others in this area. Click here for the link to the iFootpath website, and simply enter the post-code area BN18
- You can print the walks for free from this website - see the details and links below.
- You can get a paper copy at the Forge (and certain other Tourist locations in the area) - 30p for each walk.
- The Slindon village history trail - a 1.5 mile easy walk around the village, all on tarmac and ideal for any time of year including when its muddy. Starts and ends at the Forge. Download a printable copy of Slindon Village History Trail here.
- The Slindon Park walk. A 3 mile easy walk, this starts from the National Trust car park in Park Lane, and takes you through the ancient deer park and woodland (fantastic bluebells, usually out in April) then back through the village. Download a printable copy of the Slindon Park Circular here.
Easy walk - mostly sheltered. Dog off lead most of the time. The Forge is just wonderful - fab lunch & drinks (for 2) for under £15. We’ll be back for another Slindon Estate walk!! By philnorman49 on 23 Feb 2015
- Stane Street Roman road & Slindon Estate. This 8 mile walk starts and ends high up on the Downs at the top of Bignor Hill, and follows a well preserved section of the Roman Road before looping round the Slindon Estate and back via The Forge. Download a printable copy of Slindon Estate and Stane Street here.
Walked this on 2 Jan 15 with a friend. Directions spot-on (make sure you differentiate between a T Junction & a Cross Roads) & we had a great lunch at The Forge in Slindon. Looking forward to walking it again in the Spring!
By philnorman49 on 03 Jan 2015
|This may be the best walk I’ve ever done. It was certainly the best directions. It wasn’t long but it was hard work at times.|
|By Steele on 01 Feb 2015|
- Slindon, Nore Hill and the Downs. This 4 mile walk starts and ends at The Forge and takes you through the village, up on to the Downs (its quite a climb but it wonderful country and gives you spectacular views), and takes in The Folly on Nore Hill. Download a printable copy of Slindon and Nore Hill here.